I can’t count the amount of times I have heard “I wish I had the time to make my breakfasts like yours”… I probably could on second thought, but I would have to hire a minion or something to keep count (I already have one, but Kaia is a dog.)
I then go on to explain that my breakfasts legit take 5 minutes (simple food gal over here), especially these bowls of heaven.
IF YOU GOT A BLENDER, YOU GOT A GYM… I mean, smoothie bowl, you gotta smoothie bowl.
The absolute best thing about these is that there is SO much variety and as long as you add some crunch, you’re in my good books!
Now, the key ingredient for these bad boys – Xanthan Gum! You can find this at your health food store, yet to find it in Coles/Woolworths, and it is a little exxy but you only use tops a teaspoon in the whole recipe. Its worth it, I pinky promise.
Blueberry based topped with strawberries, All Bran, Lindt chocolate (whom I am still awaiting sponsorship from), honey and cinnamon.
My usual base consists of something like this:
– 200ml unsweetened almond milk, sometimes the vanilla one if I’m feeling a little crazy.
– Handful of fruit of some sort, obviously the picture above is blended with some blueberries. Strawberries and banana are freakin’ awesome in it as well.
– One scoop of protein powder. Yes, you can sub this out if you don’t have any protein powder, just use a little more fruit.
– DO NOT JUDGE THIS ONE. 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese. I swear by this shit. If you don’t add this in then it wont have a thickness to it and the point of smoothie bowls is to be thick… Like my legs, amiright?
– 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum. Do not sub out or you are literally just making a milkshake, and it ain’t going to bring the boys to the yard.
– Chia seeds/Flax seed OR you can sprinkle this on top.
– Shot of coffee works well if you’re making a chocolate based smoothie bowl blended with banana. Wouldn’t recommend with any other fruits though because its not that enjoyable. You’ll still eat it, because #gainz but it really just doesn’t taste as delish.
– Cacao powder or sugar free chocolate drinking mix! You can get the sugar free powder from woolworths and it is legit a life saver if you’re craving something chocolatey! I have made hot chocolate out of it before (basically every day in prep, who am I kidding) and it works just as amazingly in smoothie bowls without the added calories.
I like to blend all my ingredients first and then add my Xanthun Gum just FYI. Once blended to the desired consistency (usually thick and will be slightly jelly-like) pour into a bowl and move onto the best part of all.
Strawberry base with white chia seeds, pepita seeds, strawberries and a slice of my banana bread.
As I said, PLEASE for the love of all smoothie bowls, add something with a crunch. It’s like going to get Froyo and just getting the frozen yoghurt, I ain’t got time for you. Or if you’re a canberra local and go to Goodberries just for the custard, who the heck are you and where can I find you to force add some crunch into your life?
Anywho… Here is a list of some goodies!
– Extra fruit, always.
– Nuts and seeds of all sorts! Cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepita seeds, chia seeds.
– Chocolate/cacao nibs. It is never too early in the morning for a square of chocolate. Or maybe it is, either way its irrelevant to how I feel. You only need literally one square just chopped up into pieces.
– Cereal… Cheerios work a charm.
– Homemade banana bread/brownies/muffins ALWAYS work well with fruity bases.
– Protein bar! If you don’t have protein powder, chop up a protein bar to go on top for some extra broteeein!
– Honey. But don’t put it in the microwave too long otherwise it will flow as fast as Shaggy in “It Wasn’t Me” (has anybody figured out his exact lyrics yet?.)
– Cinnamon! Can’t forget this baby.
Seriously, anything you like though…
Just add crunch.
Mocha Cappuccino base topped with a protein bar, banana, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and cinnamon.
Banana ‘ice cream’ whip… The only difference is that you blend it with 4-5 ice cubes! Topped it with strawberries, cashews, cacao nibs, cinnamon and honey… = heaven.
Now for this week, I have a REALLY cool interview coming up with a Canberra local who has taken the nutrition world by storm!